Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Dinner Disaster by Taubie Sanders, Amanda Bratsch, Beatrice Chillstrom, Nora Kushner‏

Kid: (playing on an electronic device) Mom/Dad what are we having for dinner tonight?
Parent: (doesn’t look up from cleaning the kitchen) Grandma and Grandpa are coming over for dinner tonight it’s up to them
Kid: (showing signs of disappointment) seriously Mom/Dad they’re gonna’ want to have-
Parent: (interrupting) (finally looking up from cleaning) You should feel bad for your grandparents they’re stuck in a nursing home up north
Kid: (rolls eyes) Mom/Dad they live in an apartment in the suburbs and play Mahjong with their old people friends all day
Parent: Just play on your phone, okay?
Kid: Mom/Dad they like to squish my face, call me boobelah, and tell me how tall I am!
Parent: (clueless) What’s wrong with that?
Kid: (in frustration) I’m only four foot two!
Parent: But you’re tall anyway!
Kid: (rolls eyes and goes back to playing on phone)
(Kid plays on phone; mom cleans for about ten seconds)

(PERSISTENT KNOCKING SOUND)

Parent: (frantically) That must be them! Go answer the door!  And be polite!
Kid: Okay, Okay!  (accidentally knocks phone onto the floor and knocks bowl of chips onto the table trying to pick it up)
Parent: (starts taking deep breaths trying to calm themselves) I’ll do it myself! Just go to your room, and don’t mess ANYTHING ELSE UP!
Kid:  Whatever. (puts on headphones with LOUD MUSIC strolls down the hallway doing weird dance moves and accidentally knocks down a picture on the wall) oops! I’ll pick it up! (struggles over the weight of the picture and drops it on foot) OW!

(door flies open because grandfather kicked it down)

Grandmother: (Yiddish accent) Boobelah! What’s wrong?

(runs over squishing KID’s face)

Grandfather: (Yiddish accent) My, my you’re so tall!
Kid: (struggling to speak with face being squished) I told you this would happen! (he starts kicking his feet trying to escape the GRANDMOTHER’s embrace)
Grandfather: We’re having Gefilte fish for dinner, right?
Kid: (storms off of stage) ugh!
Grandmother: Wait!  Boobelah!  Don’t run away from your Grandma!  Running away from your grandpa I understand, but not from your Grandma!
Parent: (rolling eyes) Kids these days.
Grandmother: If I got mad when I was younger I had to run out in the outhouse to get privacy.  This kid is spoiled rotten because you let him/her sleep inside like an actual human being!  I thought I raised you better than this!
Grandfather: You need to teach that kid some discipline
Kid: (yells from off stage) I heard that!                                                     
Grandfather: (angry) That’s exactly the type of behavior I’m talking about!
Grandmother: (protectively fighting) Don’t insult my boobelah!
Grandfather: You’re the one who brought it up!
Grandmother: You’re meshugana!  You brought it up!
Grandpa: No you did you meanie!
Parent: (interrupts) Okay, okay settle down everybody!
Grandparents: It’s your fault anyway you raised him/her wrong!

(KID enters stage)(everyone except KID starts arguing for ten seconds)

Kid: (shyly) Everybody stop arguing!

(everyone looks at KID)

Kid: (sad) This was supposed to be a nice dinner and I turned it into a horrible one!
Parent: (also saddish) No it’s not you’re fault it’s mine.  I couldn’t keep anybody under control.
Grandma: No! It’s my fault I wasn’t being a good bubby to my little boobelah (she squishes KID’s cheeks).
Kid: Stop.

(now ALL are sad)

Grandma: Sorry!
Grandpa: No it’s my fault!  I can’t be a good leader of this family.
Kid: Guys, you know what?  I think that we should start this dinner all over again.
Parent: I agree.
Kid: All in raise your hand.

(ALL raise hands)

Grandma: (talking to GRANDPA) Oh! You really have got to put on some deodorant!
Grandpa: (annoyed) Oy! Vey!
Parent: (trying to keep calm) Don’t start it.
Kid: Everyone, starting positions!

(GRANDMA and GRANDPA scramble to the door step and KID and PARENT stay in the kitchen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment