Thursday, June 23, 2016

Because I Really Wanted to Join the Witness Protection Program by Taubie Sanders and Amanda Bratsch

I love the flash of the lights, the clash of the clapboard.  My life is perfect.  What part of being a reality TV star wouldn’t be?

“Karrie!  Get on set now!  I don’t need any more angry fans.”

“Okay!  Okay!  Gosh I didn’t know that was so important to you.”

“It’s kind of my job.”

“Agreed.”

“Okay three, two, one action!” Dina enters.  I jaunt around the set kitchen as if the cameras aren’t there.  That’s the thing about reality TV shows.  It’s all fake.  I love it.

“Um what are you doing in here Karrie?” Dina Tey is such a good actress she’s bound to be in an actual TV show some day.

“Uh it’s my house too, sis,” I say squinting into the distance to read from the teleprompter.

“Oh, yeah forgot about that,” Dina says

“Cut! Cut! Cut!” Elbert slaps his forehead.  “Seriously, you forgot about that?  She is your sister!  I’m Elbert Spence, I have better things to do than spend my time with you people!”  I look down.  I thought I was important.  “Scene one take two.  Lights, camera, action.”

“Hey sis how are you doing?” This time Helen entered first.

“Uh… I can’t see the teleprompter,” I squint into the darkness behind the lights “I think I need glasses.  Wait… no, I need contacts, glasses are ugly.”

“Cut!  Oh my gosh Karrie!  I’ll move the stupid teleprompter forward.  Now this time let’s not fail!  Scene one, take two.  Action!”

“Hey girl, how’s it going,” I’ve never heard Helen talk like that before.

“I still can’t read the teleprompter,” I say glaring at Mike the set guy.

“Cut!  You know what, we are done for today, bye.”  Dina comes out from behind the set.

“Thanks a lot Karrie!  You made Elbert aggravated.  Now he’s probably going to cancel the show or something.” She stomps away leaving me standing there alone with Helen.

“I think you need glasses.” she says and struts away.

“What?!  You know I think they make you look gruesome!”  I was left just standing there.  Just me and the cleanup guys.  I plop down into the chair near me.  CRASH!  I forgot the chair is fake, like everything else here, fake.

I get up off the floor, look around and stomp out the door.

“Okay guys, let’s make today better than yesterday.  I don’t need you wasting my time again.  Lights, camera, action!”

“Hey I’m back.” Dina places a group of shopping bags on the counter.

“Uh… I can’t see it again.” Everyone swivels around to take their turn at giving me a menacing stare.

“Karrie come here please” Elbert says and I cringe.  “You have got to start trying, do you hear me?”

“Uh, yeah.’’

“That was a rhetorical question.  Anyway, you are the only person here who needs a teleprompter.  Why can’t you just memorize lines?  Everyone else can!” his brow begins furrow.  “You are an untalented, blunderous, crude, helpless, irritating, disturbing, jerk!”

I look down trying to hide my tears.  Elbert Spence may be a famous director, but he would never win the award for the nicest person on earth.  “Okay, now get back on set and try this time!”  I drag my feet into my place and wait for the dreaded words.  “Lights, camera, action!”

“Hey sis, I’m home.” Helen waits, anticipating my future fail.

“Great, good for you,” I say and Helen looks surprised that I didn’t fail.

“Well what do you want to eat for dinner tonight?”

I freeze.

“Uh… frog eyes,” I say immediately regretting it and waiting for the yell of the word ‘cut’.  But it is absent.

“Ew that’s disgusting!”  Helen crinkles her nose

“Well it’s not my fault I’m not perfect!” my emotions need to come out. “Why do you think Elbert called me over and yelled at me?  Why do you think I need a teleprompter?  Why do you think I can’t act, or sing, or dance, or be a normal person?!” Out of the corner of my eye I see Dina creep out onto the set.  “Why do you think everyone hates me?  Why do you think I can’t go anywhere without getting insults?  I’m tired!  I’m tired of this persecution, I’m tired of everyone expecting me to be perfect!” the cameras keep rolling.  “I’m tired of everyone being a jerk!  I’m tired of life!”.

I plop down on the ground and leave myself there to rot.  Unfortunately, I don’t spontaneously combust. That would have been, like, SO dramatic. I drop my head into my hands and wait for Elbert to start yelling. But he doesn’t. No one does. In fact, the entire set has gone completely silent. I stare at everyone. They’re frozen in place, staring back at me. After about 10 seconds, everyone unfreezes and starts clapping. Applause. For me! Just like I‘ve always dreamed. Elbert is loudly and excitedly talking about ratings and drama and money and fame. Helen and Dina are glaring at me. I glare back at them and stomp away.

Halfway dead on the LA highway, I realize what I’ve done. My life is over. My career is over. Nothing matters anymore.  I just completely made a horrible image of myself on national television.  Now I have an even worse public image than I did before.

“WHY?!” I scream banging my head on the dashboard “OW!” I screamed again rubbing my forehead.  “CRAP!” I scream realizing the car window is rolled down.  I glare out the window at the people videotaping me.  “SHUT THAT PHONE OFF!” I yell at them.  The delinquent on my right puts on a pair of sunglasses and keeps recording.  “I SAID TURN IT OFF YOU DELINQUINT!”

I grab the stuffed die hanging from my front mirror and chuck it at her.  She catches them and chucks them back at me while still recording they land on the road so I pick up the agate that sits on my dash board and chuck it at her.  It hits her in the head and suddenly her eyes roll into the back of her head.  Her hands fall off the steering wheel and her car abruptly stops.

BEEP!  BEEP!  BEEP!  I look back and ten cars are in a pileup behind her.  Out the window of her car I see a hand hanging holding a bright pink phone.  “WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?”  I honk the horn multiple times and begin the even longer trek home.

Right when I got home I immediately turn on the computer and go to news4theworld.com.  The first heading I see is ‘KARRIE REDGER IS OFFICIALLY CRAZY’.

“CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!” I knew this was going to happen.  Just to be sure I’m not all over the internet I go check the ‘New York Times’ website.  The very first thing I see ‘KARRIE REDGER IS OFFICIALLY CRAZY’ next to the title there is a video.  Out of curiosity and partly rage I click the play button.  I could not believe my beautiful eyes.  Let’s just say I should not have engaged in activity with ‘the delinquent’.

That video, taken by a bright pink phone, that phone belongs to editor in chief of ‘The New York Times’.  The video went on to show what a ‘jerk’ I am and how I should apparently be in an insane asylum.  I slammed the computer down and stormed into my room.  The canopy bed was the only thing making me feel safe so I flopped onto it, hiding my face in the pillow and bawling my eyes out as if I was four again.  I fell asleep with images of terror in my head that night.

When I woke up, I immediately checked my phone. I had 3-billion new haters on Twitter, and four-billion on Instagram. Uh-oh. I guess a lot of people must have seen that video. I log onto Splashtube and scream. It is the number one most popular video EVER! As I watch the video again, I get an email from Elbert. Oh, no.

‘Subject: You’re fired.’

I didn’t bother to read anymore after that.

I bawled for about fifteen minutes, and then suddenly I made a decision. I wouldn’t let these haters stop me. I would start over. I would change my name and my look and my attitude. Well, actually I have a pretty good attitude, so I’ll keep that the same. But I will no longer be Karrie Redger, Reality TV Star. I will be Katrina Craze, evil sixth grade teacher!

I click new message.

 

To: witnessprotectionprogram@wpp.com

From: karrie_redger@weemail.com

Subject: I need a new identity!

Message:  I’m sure by now you’ve probably seen the viral video of me.  Please don’t judge!  Anyway, I really need to join the witness protection.  Don’t ask why, I just do.   I’ll give you a million bucks.  Hope you consider me!  Sincerely, Karrie Redger (my new name is going to be Katrina Craze)

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment